Reflection on Anne Davis’ “Learn to Blog: Blog to Learn”

The majority of this session is a set of resources in a wiki that includes a nicely scaled set of activities geared toward initial users or experienced users of classroom blogs. There are well-designed webquests that I could have teachers do in a self-paced session on there own or as part of a course I teach. In going to the SlideShare link I was able to follow along with the presentation. Now that slideshare.net allows us to add a voiceover podcast I hope to post more of my teacher materials on this site as I think the audio is a very helpful addition.

I had a few classblogmeister pioneers last year and the most use was by a 2nd grade teacher and a 3rd grade teacher. We sat down together in the lab one day with David Warlick’s book “Classroom Blogging” and followed the directions. We each went home and “played” a bit more and very quickly they had created classroom blogs with access for each student. We were a bit nervous about young students having the patience to fill in text boxes, type in scrambled spambot text and manage it all; we shouldn’t have feared any of it as they were undaunting in their efforts to publish and share their work. One blog from last year can be viewed at: http://classblogmeister.com/blog.php?blogger_id=137726.

As Anne mentions, David Warlick manages the hosting and the software development of this tool on his own and he also encourages teachers to join a classroomblogmeister yahoo group that is a wonderful place to connect with other teachers, ask for help and participate in the community of learners who are attempting to incorporate blogs into instruction.

Thanks to the pioneers in my school this year I have more interest in classroom blogging. Many were hesitant to put in the work if it was just a technology thing, but in a course on Writing taught in the district last year a teacher shared her blog, the student’s excitement and that for her it was the best way she had ever found for sharing student work with parents. She found is was saving her time as the parents weren’t asking so many questions in emails and extra conferences; not to mention it was the first time parents were interacting with their child’s writing!